Monday 25 June 2018

EUROPE ISN'T THE ONLY MARKET PLACE.

As the Brexit negotiations chug along to their inevitable conclusion - yet another fudge - it occurs to me that our 'friends' in Europe ought to think long and hard before pushing the British people too far.

I drive a German car, in fact my last 2 cars have been German. I also drink French wine and have done so, by the bucket-load, for decades. My kitchen contains olive oil, the produce, so it says on the label, of Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal. No doubt there are many other European products which I also consume in one way or another, just as do millions of other Britons. At the same time, my television is of Japanese origin, my laptop probably made in China. Many of my clothes and household linens convey the message that they were made in India, Bangladesh, China, Malaysia and heaven knows where else. 

My conclusion from this is that there are many places from which to buy goods which are not in the European Union. If the Bureaucrats in Brussels continue to obstruct Brexit at every turn my next car certainly won't be German, nor French nor of any other European origin; I hear that Japan, China, Malaysia, the USA and more all make perfectly good models. My French wine will be replaced with similar and sometimes superior products from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, the USA and others. Olive oil isn't essential and there are plenty of alternatives that will do. My fruit and veg will come from elsewhere than in Europe and my clothes already do. 

On balance, I reckon the EU will be the poorer for mistreating me and serve them bloody well right !


No comments:

Post a Comment