Wednesday 13 September 2017

PERCEPTIONS OF ANTI-SEMITISM ARE NONSENSE.

Something called 'The Institute for Jewish Policy Research' reckons that some 30% of British people hold at least one 'anti-Semitic' view. The study which produced this result used 5,466 'observations' across Great Britain and appears to define anti-Semitism as 'ideas that are commonly perceived by Jews to be anti-Semitic'.

This study used 2,003 'face-to-face' interviews of people 'randomly' selected; we all know how unreliable such polling can be. Additionally, there were 2,002 online observations obtained from a self-selecting group of individuals who have previously volunteered to be available to undertake market research surveys. The report states that some sub-groups of the population were also, 'boosted', which seems to mean that additional subjects were interviewed, these individuals being exclusively in the groups most expected to harbour anti-Semitic views; there were 1,461 of these, both face-to-face and online.

While the report contains much analysis and many tables, it does not include a copy of the survey questionnaire, making it impossible to judge exactly how unbiased and unambiguous it was. However, the tables of responses suggest that there was an inbuilt element of ambiguity by asking repeatedly for attitudes to 'Jews' and not including an option of 'some Jews'. An interviewee confronted with a question, for example, about Jews exploiting Holocaust victims for their own purposes, and believing that some may well do although the majority do not, might therefore, be left wondering how to answer. 

As with most such surveys, this one set out with preconceived notions and it produced the desired results, supporting its sponsors. I have little doubt that a similar report could be produced to show that Britons hate Jews or love Jews, hate Muslims or love Muslims, love curry or hate curry and so on ad infinitum. Our society is riddled with views which could be perceived to be misogynistic, misandrist, racist, ageist, ableist, and bigoted in all manor of ways by anyone who wishes so to do. I'm sure I could produce a case to support my perception that the world is biased against me, if I chose, but what's the point ?  

Personally, I have no ill-will towards Jews as a whole and, for the vast majority, I doubt whether I would recognize a Jew as such any more than I would a Christian. Nonetheless, I do get pretty fed up hearing about the historical horrors perpetrated upon them and the way in which SOME do use this as a way of eliciting sympathy for their cause. I find the lunatic antics of SOME, nodding their heads at the 'Wailing Wall' or wearing silly clothes or hairstyles, ridiculous but it's their choice and as long as they don't bother me, I don't worry about it.

However, I have similar feelings about many other groups. The daft behaviour of most religious groups - Christians, Muslims, Hindus and the rest - with their costumes, chants, imagery and flummery is inexplicable to me but, as long as they don't come knocking on my door I'm happy to let them get on with it. Those who do knock on my door, accost me in the street or otherwise try to force their views on me are unwelcome, annoying and draw my total disapproval. Anyone who attempts to argue a political or ethical point or tries to justify their actions by resorting to their religious beliefs drives me mad and the continuation of religious disputes such as that between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland both sickens me and drives me to despise both sides.

The historical persecution of Protestants by Catholics and Catholics by Protestants, Hindus and Muslims by Christians and vice-versa; the appalling religious bigotry of medieval times and the fanatical, and often brutal, treatment of 'pagan' natives by missionaries are rarely mentioned, while persecution of the Jews is forever in the news. Jews are, of course, a more close knit group than the others, seemingly obsessed with their past, their right to a 'homeland' and their consequent identification with the somewhat extremist state of Israel.

Perhaps the whole issue would simply fade away if those Jews who shout loudest lowered their voices a bit and stopped complaining about how much everyone hates them. For the present, the perceived negative views about them may well be a consequence of  familiarity breeding contempt and people reacting badly to the frequent cries of 'Wolf !'.

No comments:

Post a Comment