Friday 17 August 2018

ARETHA WHO ?

The news media seems to  be full of tributes to a 'singer' who has died. Apparently, Aretha Franklin was just about the greatest singer ever and her death is supposed to be mourned by everyone.

Well, while I knew her name, I would have happily passed her in the street without knowing that I'd just been within touching distance of the 'Queen of Soul', whatever that ridiculous epithet means. While I may have heard her on the radio at times, it was not by choice and I wouldn't have known who was performing unless I was told.

To me, Aretha Franklin was a woman with a powerful voice which she used to make the most appalling noises - screams, shrieks and yells merging into a caterwauling cacophony which merely encouraged me to switch off without delay. Mine may be a discordant voice amidst the paean of praise, but it's no more discordant than were the screeches which too often emerged from the throat of Ms Franklin.

The world of the media and entertainment seems to have lost all sense of perspective when it comes to its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment