Sunday 20 October 2013

WHATEVER HAPPED TO MANNERS AND DECENCY ?

A couple of days ago, MP Jo Swinson was allowed to stand during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons. This may not sound a particularly noteworthy issue until one learns that Ms Swinson is 7 months pregnant and was surrounded by a gaggle of other members, many of them seated. 
 
That she was made to stand for over half and hour and that no one offered her their seat demonstrates only too clearly just how far general standards of decency have fallen in recent years. When I was a child and for many years thereafter, I would have automatically given up my seat for a pregnant woman or an elderly person; I would have automatically held a door open for others, indeed, I still do the latter though the former is less necessary these days as I'm now one of the 'elderly' myself.
 
The decline in good manners and common decency has been stark. Today's children demonstrate almost no concern for others and rarely if ever hold a door or give up a seat; their personal interests and 'rights' outweigh everything else. What a horrible world we have produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment