Sunday 6 February 2011

LARKRISE A WINNER.

Having had a few drinks with Sunday dinner, I may be accused of being over-sentimental or some such. However, watching 'Larkrise to Candleford', I'm utterly entranced.

This is a series of true nonsense and yet it has elements of veracity in it. It is obviously set in an imagined world with such well groomed peasants and beautiful surroundings that it is a tale of pure romance; and yet it is also so wonderfully set that it's impossible not to like it.

The series has a cast that does enormous credit to its makers. Being too old to be in love with the character of Laura, I am besotted with her boss, Dorcas Lane, though I suspect it's really Julia Sawalha that I truly adore; I've held a secret passion for her for at least 20 years ! That aside, the series is a jewel in an otherwise barren desert of television on a Sunday night. What wonderful performances there are from the supporting cast, especially from the girl who plays silly Minnie, Ruby Bentall; to my mind she is sensational and really should be in line for an award, BAFTA or whatever.

Call me old-fashioned, but this is my kind of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment